Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have neutralized five terrorists and one foreign mercenary fighter during a large-scale multi-wave assault on military positions in Buni Gari, Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State, while separately neutralizing three terrorists in the North-West and intercepting a terrorist logistics convoy crossing from Cameroon into Borno State, as the military confirmed the deaths of three soldiers in the North-East engagement.
Director of Defense Media Operations Major General Michael Onoja said the Buni Gari attack was repelled on May 8, with troops recovering a General Purpose Machine Gun, an AK-47 rifle, an RPG tube and bombs, over 2,000 rounds of ammunition, and cash from the scene. He confirmed that three soldiers paid the supreme price during the encounter and that the military was tracking continuing terrorist activity in the area.
On the same date, troops intercepted a terrorist logistics convoy along the Banki-Kumshe Road in Bama Local Government Area as it crossed from Cameroon, forcing insurgents to flee and abandon supplies including bicycles, fuel jerricans, surgical drips, medications, motorcycle parts, phone batteries, and food items. Onoja said the discovery confirmed that terrorists operating across Adamawa, Borno, Taraba, and Yobe states were procuring logistics from neighboring Cameroon.
In the North-West, troops of Sector 2 Joint Task Force North West Operation Fansan Yamma neutralized three terrorists at Doumbourum Village in Kaura Namoda and Birnin Magaji local government areas and recovered an AK-47 rifle, a machine gun, a locally fabricated handgun, seven magazines, and 571 rounds of ammunition. No casualties were recorded among the troops during that engagement.
On May 9, surrendered family members of terrorists including adult females and minors from Yaganari village in Bama were profiled and processed. On May 13, following air interdiction near the Mandara Mountains, troops rescued six women and children who had been held since an attack on Ngoshe community on March 3, 2026.
Chief of Defence Staff General Olufemi Oluyede directed commanders to sustain operational momentum, prioritize troop welfare, and maintain the highest professional standards, while acknowledging the sacrifices of personnel killed in action and extending condolences to their families.