Nigeria and the United States have carried out fresh coordinated airstrikes against Islamic State-linked jihadists in northeastern Nigeria, with Nigerian military authorities confirming the killing of at least 20 militants.
The strikes, conducted on Sunday, were confirmed by the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in a statement released on Monday.
According to the Nigerian military, the operation targeted fighters of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), following intelligence reports indicating the movement and concentration of terrorist elements in the region.
“Following observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, multiple air strikes were conducted resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters,” the Defence Headquarters stated.
AFRICOM said intelligence confirmed that the targets were Islamic State militants and added that no Nigerian or American personnel were injured during the operation.
The latest offensive comes just days after Nigerian and US authorities announced the killing of senior Islamic State leader Abu-Bilal al-Minuki during a joint military operation in Nigeria.
Al-Minuki, who had been under US sanctions since 2023, was described as the global second-in-command of the Islamic State organisation and reportedly oversaw media operations, finances, weapons development and drone production for the group.
Nigeria’s military described him as “one of the world’s most active terrorists.”
Nigeria has battled insurgency in its northern region for more than a decade, facing attacks from both Boko Haram and ISWAP.
In addition to jihadist violence, many communities in northern Nigeria continue to face attacks from armed criminal gangs involved in kidnappings and raids on rural settlements.
The renewed military operations also come amid growing pressure from Washington, which has repeatedly urged Nigeria to intensify efforts against Islamist militants operating across the region.
West Africa has increasingly become a major hotspot for Islamist insurgency. A recent report by the conflict monitoring organisation Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) indicated that Islamic State activity in Africa reached record levels during the first quarter of 2026.
Security analysts have warned of possible retaliatory attacks by ISWAP following the death of al-Minuki.
An intelligence source told AFP that the high-profile killing could trigger renewed assaults on Nigerian military bases as the group seeks revenge.
Nigeria has recently intensified joint military operations with US support, including coordinated Christmas Day airstrikes in Sokoto State targeting fighters linked to the Islamic State in the Sahel.
The United States has also expanded military cooperation with Nigeria by deploying hundreds of personnel to assist with training and counterterrorism operations.